Sunday, January 29, 2012

On Top of Old Smoky

Disclaimer: I'm not now, nor have I ever been of Italian descent. I may be committing all sorts of atrocities with this recipe; blame my naivete!

I love pasta of all shapes and sizes, with the possible exception of rotini. I just don't know why rotini and I are not friends. I think it's trying to hard, what with all those grooves. Get over yourself, rotini!

One of my favorite ways to top pasta is with a juicy meatball. I usually use an easy recipe that's oven baked, so it is a smidgen more healthy than frying them. These are really great with turkey, too! Save that oil for when you make fried chicken. And remember: Mazola protects you against appendicitis and broken bones. I'm not being paid by Mazola for that last statement. Get on the ball, Mazola!This is a picture of uncooked meatballs. I'm not very organized, so I forgot to get a picture of the finished and delicious looking product. I put that little tablespoon measure in there for added jaunty realism. I live to serve

Meatballs

1 package ground beef or ground turkey (arond a pound or 1 1/4 pounds)
3/4 cup bread crumbs
1 small onion, chopped finely
3 cloves garlic, minced - or use 2 tsp granulated
3 Tbsp dried parsley
2 tsp salt (more or less depending on what you like)
1 tsp pepper (ditto)
1-2 eggs
1/2 cup parmesan cheese
Optional: 1-2 tsp crushed red pepper. Some like it hot, and all.

Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. 375 is my favorite oven temperature. I know. It's weird. Who has a favorite oven temperature?? I also have other weird favorites, such as favorite rest areas on the way to California. Hey-o, Quartzsite!

Take a baking tray and cover it with foil. Spray the foil with cooking spray.

Put all of these ingredients in a bowl. Don't be shy; get your bare hands in there and mix it up. Mush it around. Show it who's boss. But not too much; overmixing will make them tough. Maybe just show it who's a colleague with some constructive criticism.

Once it is decently mixed together, get out a tablespoon measure and scoop up tablespoonsful of mixture, and roll it together with your hands. I have heard a rumor that if you do that with wet hands, it is easier to roll; however, I usually remember this rumor after all my meatballs are rolled, so I haven't put it to the test.

Place your rolled meatballs on your baking tray; then pop it in the oven for approximately 20 minutes. Once the timer goes off, take one out and cut it open. Is it pink inside? Maybe another 5 minutes. But it should be done. Since you've sacrificed one, you might as well go ahead and eat it (unless, of course, it is pink inside).

While your meatballs are cooking you can cook some spaghetti and heat up some pasta sauce. Lets get crazy and slice up some French bread and make a salad. Or, you can slice open sub rolls and heat up some pasta sauce and get out some provolone.

I'm not trying to tell you what to do here.

No comments:

Post a Comment