Monday, January 30, 2012

If It Doesn't Kill You. . .

On Saturday I was at the doctor with Seth, who had an ear infection.  Seth is a planner and often the things he says crack me up.  For instance, he explained to the doctor that sometimes his heart moves around in his chest and sits on the right side instead of the left side, so maybe he should check the right side if he's not hearing anything on the left side.

Seth has real trials and tribulations, the cause of which can be attibuted to one person: his little sister.  Rowan lives to torment Seth.  When he gets old enough I plan to teach him the old Nietzchean adage: That which does not kill you, makes you stronger.  I probably misquoted it.  You get the gist.

I found this old photo Saturday also:

Rowan (10  months old at the time) has stolen Seth's favorite toy and is on the move.  The look on his face here continues to this day.  I see it at times when I ask them a question such as, "What movie should we see today - Alvin and the Chipmunks or The Iron Lady?" and Rowan looks over to Seth to see what he's going to say first.  He says, "Alvin!"  And she automatically says, "The Iron Lady!"

Now, of course I never give choices like this.  It just illustrates how Rowan will do whatever humanly possible to challenge Seth.  I choose to believe it is from a subconscious desire to keep Seth on his toes, feeling challenged and alive, and not because she just likes to provoke him.  But I know the truth, deep down inside.

Anyway, we're at the doctor on Saturday and Seth says to me, "Mom, when I become a teenager and I get a laptop computer that opens and closes, could you do me a favor and never let Rowan touch it?"

To which I replied, "Of course, sweetheart.  Of course."

No comments:

Post a Comment